2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is well known for its extraordinary off-road prowess, but it has become increasingly well-rounded over the years. Now, this mid-size SUV is able to deliver a comfortable and pleasant ride on paved surfaces, thanks to its composed handling, refined cabin, and excellent infotainment system. The 2020 model is available in 12 trims, ranging from the base Laredo E to the top-of-the-line Trackhawk. Check out this detailed guide to determine if the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a good option for you.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee hasn’t had a major styling refresh for almost a decade, but it still looks stylish and attractive today. Its wagon-like body hides its size well, while its finely balanced proportions give it a timeless appeal. Up front, the SUV looks bold and imposing with its high bumper and wide seven-slot grille. Along the sides, deeply sculpted door panels and trapezoidal wheel arches contribute to a muscular profile. The rear end appears somewhat sleek with wraparound taillights and some rounded edges. The SRT and Trackhawk get larger wheels and fender flares for a more intense look.
Buyers of the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee have four engine options to choose from. The standard engine is a tested-and-proven 3.6-liter V-6 that produces 295 horsepower and pairs with an eight-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive is optional with the V-6 engine and standard on V-8 models. For more power, you can opt for the 5.7-liter V-8 engine, which delivers 360 horsepower and has a tow rating of 7,200 pounds.
If you want a more thrilling driving experience, choose the SRT trim, which comes with a 6.4-liter V-8 engine that’s rated at 475 horsepower. This model can sprint from zero to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds. The most potent engine is found under the hood of the Trackhawk. It’s a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine that serves up an incredible 707 horsepower, which is enough to launch the SUV to 60 mph in a mere 3.5 seconds.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee delivers an average fuel economy with its base engine, getting 19/26 mpg (city/highway). If you choose the 5.7-liter V-8, you’ll see the rating fall to 14/22 mpg. The SRT gives you 13/18 mpg, while the supercharged Trackhawk manages 11/17 mpg.
Compared to other mid-size SUVs, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is easy to drive in the city, thanks to its light and precise steering. The crossover also has a well-tuned suspension system that enables it to absorb bumps and other uneven surfaces nicely. While it offers a smooth and composed ride on paved surfaces, the Grand Cherokee really shines when it hits the dirt. It comes with a wide range of standard and available off-road features, including several four-wheel-drive systems, air suspension system, hill ascent and descent control, limited-slip differential, and traction management systems.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee can seat up to five people. Both rows of seats are comfortable and supportive and offer more than adequate legroom and headroom for adults. The SUV’s cabin is solidly built and varies in quality depending on which trim you choose. When it comes to cargo space, you’ll get 36.3 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 68.3 cubic feet with those seats folded.
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee comes standard with advanced safety technologies such as blind-spot monitors, rear cross-traffic warning, a rearview camera, and rear parking sensors. There’s also a long list of safety features that are available on every trim, including automatic emergency braking, forward-collision alert, lane-departure alert, adaptive cruise control, active perpendicular and parallel parking, and rain-sensing windshield wipers.
There’s plenty of variety between the Grand Cherokee trims:
- Laredo E: The base trim level of the Grand Cherokee comes standard with dual-zone climate control, cloth upholstery, a power driver’s seat with lumbar support, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, the Uconnect infotainment system with a 7-inch display, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, a six-speaker sound system, and two USB ports. It rides on 17-inch aluminum wheels.
- Upland: The Upland has all the standard features of the Laredo E, plus heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, an automatic dimming rearview mirror, remote start, a 115-volt auxiliary port, and hill descent control.
- Altitude: This trim level adds suede upholstery, an upgraded Uconnect infotainment system with an 8.4-inch display, HD radio, and navigation.
- North Edition: Specially designed to handle wintry conditions, the North Edition comes with power heated mirrors, a windshield-wiper de-icer, slush mats, and a cargo liner.
- Limited: The Limited builds off the Altitude and offers a power sunroof, dual remote USB charging ports, and 18-inch Tech Gray wheels.
- Limited X: This model features a bold exterior styling with a performance hood with dual heat extractors and low-gloss crystal wheels. It also receives LED daytime running lights, Bi-Xenon HID headlights, premium LED fog lights, and steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
- Trailhawk: The off-road-ready Trailhawk features unique red stitching throughout its cabin, a 506-watt amplifier, and a nine-speaker audio system. Additionally, it has off-road equipment such as Quadra-Lift air suspension, 18-inch off-road aluminum wheels, red tow hooks, a receiver hitch, and a variety of skid plates.
- Overland: If you choose the Overland trim, you’ll get additional features such as a leather-wrapped instrument panel, a wood steering wheel, heated rear seats, a dual-pane sunroof, and chrome tow hooks.
- High Altitude: The High Altitude adds Nappa leather-lined seats and eye-catching bright pedals.
- Summit: The Summit gets a 19-speaker audio system and rides on 20-inch polished aluminum wheels.
- SRT: Besides a more powerful engine, this performance-oriented model gains a sport-tuned suspension, sport-tuned steering, performance brakes, and 20-inch Carbon Split wheels, as well as leather and perforated suede SRT seats.
- Trackhawk: The range-topping Grand Cherokee Trackhawk stands out from the rest of the lineup with a supercharged V-8 engine, upgraded sport suspension, large six-piston Brembo brakes, 20-inch Black Satin aluminum wheels, a 200-mph speedometer, and Laguna leather performance seats.
The best way to find out if the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the right SUV for you is to schedule a test drive at Oxmoor Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM. Contact us today to make an appointment.